Non-“discrimination” for health care

I just saw this cockamamie piece of legislation offered up by Rep. Kagen (HR 5449) and have a few things I’d like to say.

What the hell is this guy thinking!!!

You mean to tell me the best he can offer to the country in regards to health insurance legislation is this piece of crap that will make us all pay for those not smart enough to get insurance!!

This bill is very specific on what it intends to do:

A group health plan, and a health insurance issuer offering group health insurance coverage, with respect to a participant or beneficiary may not impose any pre-existing condition exclusion.

And:


every health insurance issuer that offers health insurance coverage (as defined in section 2791(b)(1)) in the individual market to individuals residing in an area may not, with respect to an eligible individual (as defined in subsection (b)) residing in the area who desires to enroll in individual health insurance coverage decline to offer such coverage to, or deny enrollment of, such individual; or impose any preexisting condition exclusion (as defined in section 2701(b)(1)(A)) with respect to such coverage.

And:


Each and every health insurance issuer that offers health insurance coverage in the group market in a State shall charge the same premium price for the same coverage.

And:

Each and every health insurance issuer that offers health insurance coverage in the individual market in a State shall charge the same premium price for the same coverage; if the issuer offers such coverage in the group market in the State, shall charge the same premium for the same coverage offered in the group market.


So here we are…if you are sick then you get to pay the same amount as a person who is healthy.


Here is how the system works now…I am healthy so to save myself some money I decide not to pick up any health insurance. I become ill and decide that the medical costs are going to be very high so I try to get insurance…most are going to deny coverage since I did not have insurance prior but lets say that I find one to take me…they are going to make me pay a higher rate since they know that I have medical bills right now and will in the future.

Under Kagen’s plan I save myself some money until I get sick…opt into a plan now since they have to take me…and get to pay the same rate as those that are healthy (as long as the coverage is the same.) Then once I’m healthy again get off the plan! Talk about a

Now I know there are a few of you out there that get all emotional because “this is the health of a person!!” well I’m going to upset you a bit with the following analogy but it makes the most sense:

I own a car.

I have no insurance.

I get into an auto accident and damage my car, someone else’s car, and another person.

Should I be able to get insurance now and pay the same rate as you (who has a clean record) without any penalties?

Well that is exactly what the Kagen “non-discriminatory” health bill will allow!

Kagen is putting a on a little ‘dog and pony’ show that you can read about here: M.D. Congressman Goes Without Health Insurance


0 comments to "Non-“discrimination” for health care"

gopfolk's shared items

Shared Science News

Blog Archive

Labels

Web hosting for webmasters